If you haven’t worked with a Virtual Assistant before, the process of hiring one can feel a little overwhelming. It can feel confusing, as you may not be entirely sure what they can do for your business, and it can be stressful, as you’re unsure how you should go about selecting one that suits your needs.
But it doesn’t have to be overwhelming, confusing or stressful! When you know what questions to ask, you can ease those worries and keep your focus on finding the right Virtual Assistant for you. So if you’re ready to hire, here are some questions you need to ask, to help you find the right Virtual Assistant for you.
Questions to ask a Virtual Assistant regarding their business
These six questions will help you ascertain a little more about the Virtual Assistant and their business. They’re best asked during an initial discovery session, prior to narrowing down your selection of potential Virtual Assistants:
- How long have you been in business?
- What are your primary skills and areas of expertise?
- What type of clients do you generally provide support for?
- What are your working hours?
- Do you have references I can contact?
- Are you insured and do you adhere to GDPR guidelines?
What to ask regarding communicating with clients
The following five questions will help you ascertain how a Virtual Assistant typically works with their clients:
- What is the average turnaround time for the completion of work?
- What’s your primary method of communicating with clients?
- How do you update clients on progress and how often do you do this?
- How quickly do you respond during your working day?
- Do you prefer to work proactively or reactively?
Questions to ask regarding working with you
Not all Virtual Assistants work the same way. These eight questions will help you clarify how they charge and if there’s any room for growth, in the working relationship between you both. These questions will usually be asked once you’ve narrowed down your selection:
- How many hours do you have available for client work each week?
- How many clients do you work with?
- Will you be completing the work yourself?
- Do you have the capacity to take on extra tasks as needed?
- How do you prefer to be handed tasks?
- How would you handle a task I’ve given to you if you realise you’re not sure how to proceed or are unsure of what’s expected of you?
- If you realise you’ve got a bunch of tasks to complete, but not enough time, what would you do?
- What happens when you go on holiday – do you clear work ahead of time or have someone who steps in whilst you’re away?
Clarifying what happens next
Once you feel ready to go ahead and hire one of the potential Virtual Assistants, these six questions will help you understand exactly what will happen next:
- Do you offer a trial period and/or rate?
- How do you charge for your work? Is it an hourly rate or on a per-project basis?
- How long am I tied to a contract for?
- What is your typical onboarding process?
- How long do you typically need, to really get settled with a new client?
- What do you need from me, to get started?
If you haven’t worked with a Virtual Assistant before, the process of hiring one can feel a little overwhelming. But it doesn’t have to be. Armed with the questions above, when you have a discovery call with a potential Virtual Assistant you can be sure you’ll have all the information you need, to make the best decision for your business.
If you’d like to explore how working with a Virtual Assistant can benefit you, and take the opportunity to ask the questions above, why not get in touch? You’ll walk away with a clear picture of how Paperweight PA can help you free up your time and grow your business. So get in touch today – you’ll find our contact information, here.
Image courtesy of racorn/DepositPhotos.com